Saturday, June 30, 2012

My Cave

We all know about Man Caves but hey, we women are entitled to a special cave too and I'd like to share mine with you.  Admittedly I do have to share my 'cave' with my man but I've had the pleasure of decorating it exactly how I want and adding special pieces I've collected over the years. I think of my cave as an elegant hotel room but with loads more character. Neutral colours such as white, beige and cream keep the look harmonious. The natural materials such as the apothecary cabinet and original french bistro tables in chalky white shape the character.

My cave always seems to beckon me when I receive the latest copy of World of Interiors or splurge out on a beautiful new French interiors book.  The scene is complete when I snuggle into my favourite wingback chair with a nice crisp cold glass of Savignon Blanc in hand.  Sheer bliss!


Who says you can't have a large statue of Venus indoors.  She has a wonderful presence and presides over the cave with elegance and grandeur. I'm always adorning her in different scarves or necklaces depending on the mood.


You either love it or loathe it but I happen to be a big fan....of taxidermy.  I was greatly inspired by the amazing creatures photographed in one of my favourite books... The New 18thC French Style.  Hence the exquisite white dove gracefully positioned on an old plaster corbel.  On the other side is a sparrows nest salavaged from a trip to the Wairarapa last summer.  It smells of wheat fields.



I would say the piece de resistance of my cave is the apothecary drawer cabinet presently used to house our socks, undies and a few other unmentionables.  Its previous owner was an artist, hence the odd spray of paint and chalk smudges.  I absolutely adore everything about it, including the mismatched victorian glass knobs. This my friends is a 'keeper' irrespective of the fact I have a store full of other exquisite pieces to tempt me.


Speaking of 'keepers'.  There is another absolute fav, my French swan planter.  Currently brimming with an arrangement of dried white hydrangeas which have aged to a lovely sepia hue. 


A cave wouldn't be complete without a big comfy chair to snuggle up in and this magnificent french reproduction wingback does the job perfectly.  Finished in the palest of duck egg greens with beautiful prints of birds and flora.  I'm yet to find another like it so that's presently deemed a keeper also.



 
















Recently a gorgeous Parisian woman entered my store and to cut a long story short, I am now the proud owner of an 18thC French gilt mirror. In a minor state of disrepair with restoration work required on the ornate pediment and framework but presently proudly hung in my cave. The slight misty original mercury glass projects an aura of mystery and romance. Another recent find for the cave was this beautiful set of Italian Florentine Nesting tables picked up at auction. They have distressed white floral tops, I've become slightly obsessed with Italian Florentine pieces after reading Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic books.
 

Thanks for taking my tour and please......stay tuned for my next blog.   I look forward to showing you some of my displays of random objects full of character and charm.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, do you think Rachel Ashwell uses only wood Florentine Nesting tables? I see alot coming from Italy that are made of resin, but not sure. thank you.

    ReplyDelete